Drunk and Disorderly Behaviour Over the Festive Period

Drunk and Disorderly Behaviour Over the Festive Period

If you are accused of a drunk and disorderly offence, the police have to show that you were drunk in public, and that you have acted in a disorderly manner. This offence can be committed easily by anyone, whether they have just had a single night out, drunk too much and then got into an argument, or by someone who has a more long-term problem with alcohol misuse.
The offence of being drunk and disorderly in public is a summary offence, and so can only be heard by the Magistrates Court. As the offence is relatively minor it cannot carry a prison sentence, and the maximum a Court can do is impose a financial penalty.
To ensure that less people are harmed this year Police are preparing for Mad Friday – the last Friday before Christmas Eve – ready to tackle drunk and disorderly festive revellers. High visibility foot patrols will be seen in the town centres and officers are assuring the public that tactics are in place to ensure that they enjoy themselves, safely.
Over the festive period many Police officers are warning people to be on their best behaviour throughout the festive period. The Christmas Crackdown on Alcohol Campaign has been launched to send an important message about the zero tolerance approach which will be taken out on drunk and disorderly behaviour. Materials which are being distributed by the campaign are warming people of the dangerous of alcohol and raising the awareness and the consequences of their drunken behaviour, the main message is to have a happy, trouble-free Christmas.
If you would like to find out more about the consequences of drunk and disorderly or you or someone you know have been charged with it then our professional solicitors are always on hand to offer expert legal advice. Simply give us a call on 01244 344299 or use our online contact form to speak to one of our friendly team. If you would like to read a little more information regarding the offence then feel free to take a look at our public order offences page.